Being convicted of a sex crime in Georgia can have lifetime ramifications. It can keep you from working in some professions, living in certain areas, and may require you to register with the Georgia Sex Offender Registry.
Many lives have been ruined due to false sex crime convictions. Your reputation is often permanently destroyed not only in the courtroom but also the court of public opinion. Some people never forget a person’s sex crime conviction. Becuase of this, it is crucial to contact a Smyrna sex crimes lawyer immediately. An experienced criminal attorney in Smyrna can help to clear your name and win your case.
Types of Sex Crimes
There are many different classifications of sex crimes in Smyrna, including:
- Indecent Exposure: Exposing or handling one’s private parts, genitals, or female breasts in public. The display of graphic or sexually suggestive acts or behavior in public view
- Child Pornography: Participating in pornographic activities involving children or adolescents. This could mean producing, transporting, sharing, receiving or possessing material that exploits individuals under the age of 18
- Rape: Forcible sexual intercourse with an unwilling individual. It is a non-consensual sexual act that involves a threat of injury, force, or other duress
- Internet Crimes: Sending graphic or sexually offensive images or messaging via the Internet, cell phone, smartphone or other computer devices
- Child Molestation: Engaging children under the age of consent in sexual or indecent activities with adults
- Sexual Assault & Battery: Non-consensual touching of the private parts of another person
No matter the type of crime an individual may be facing, an experienced Smyrna sex crimes attorney can help minimize the consequences associated with the charge
Georgia Sex Crimes Laws
Some of Georgia’s sexual assault laws are different than other sexual assault laws around the country. In Georgia, it is a crime for a person with the supervisory or disciplinary rule or authority over another person to engage in a sexual relationship with them.
This includes relationships in schools, hospitals, nursing facilities, or other environments by which one person has legal custody or authority over another. Sexual assault can happen between any gender and consent cannot be used as a defense.
Typically, sexual assault is a misdemeanor and can carry one year in jail. Aggravated sexual battery is more serious. This crime involves the non-consensual penetration of another person’s private parts with a foreign object. In this instance, this crime becomes a felony that may result in a life sentence. Such a charge can be combatted with the use of a Smyrna sex crimes attorney.
Indecent exposure is considered a misdemeanor offense with a punishment of serving up to one year in jail. However, subsequence offenses can lead to felony charges of one to five years in prison.
Sex crimes involving children in the forms of pornography, molestation, or soliciting a minor carry the most severe punishments, which can keep a person locked up in prison for many years, if not life.
In Georgia, rape is having sexual intercourse with a person against their will or having intercourse with a child under the age of 10. This crime often requires a long prison sentence. A rape conviction could include capital punishment or life in prison in some cases. Statutory rape means having sex with an individual under the age of 16. To defend against such an allegation, an individual should not hesitate before contacting a seasoned sex crimes attorney in Smyrna.
Building a Defense
Computer hacking, stolen identity, misconstrued information or facts, false accusations, mistaken identity, framing, and right out lies can often make an innocent person look guilty of these horrific sex crimes and play in the hands of the prosecution.
A Smyrna sex crimes lawyer will look at all angles and misrepresentation of information to create a defense to put an individual in a favorable light.
Contact a Smyrna Sex Crimes Attorney
Punishment for sexual crimes usually involves maximum and minimum prison terms, hefty fines, probation, registrations, and public embarrassment. Your name, reputation, and life hang in the balance under a sex crime charge or arrest.
When facing a sex crime conviction, one needs to find a well-versed sex crimes attorney in Smyrna who can build a defense to clear your name and help you regain your life and reputation.