Among the most serious allegations that a person can face is being accused of a sex crime. Simply being accused of these crimes can change a person’s life, before even considering the potential consequences of a conviction.
While the most serious of sex crimes carry harsh penalties, lesser sex crimes still include possible jail terms and the requirement to register as a sex offender.
The Forsyth County sex crimes lawyers at Kohn and Yager work with clients who have been accused of all forms of sex crimes to protect not only their freedom but also their reputations. Therefore, if you have been accused of a sexual offense it is important you seek the counsel of an experienced attorney in Forsyth County today.
Sex Crimes in Georgia
Sex crimes in Georgia range from the most serious crimes that a person can be accused of to misdemeanor offenses. Examples of felony sex crimes in Georgia are:
- Rape GA Code 16-6-1. Defined as when there is forcible penetration involving intercourse. Punishments for rape include a minimum jail term of 25 years with the option of the prosecutor to pursue the death penalty.
- Statutory Rape GA Code 16-6-3. Defined as when a person has sex with another person under the age of 16.
- Child Molestation GA Code 16-6-4. Defined as any immoral or indecent act performed either to or in the presence of a person under 16 years old. Alternatively, performing a sex act in front of a child under 16 years old over electronic communication. A first offender can be sentenced to no less than five years in jail with a maximum of 20 years.
Less serious sex crimes in Georgia are classified as misdemeanors. Under GA Code 17-10-3, a misdemeanor conviction carries a fine of up to $1,000.00 and also a potential jail term of up to one year. Examples of misdemeanor sex crimes that a Forsyth County sex crimes attorney can help defend against are:
- Public Indecency GA Code 16-6-8. This is defined as performing a sexual act in public, or any exposure of one’s sexual organs.
- Prostitution GA Code 16-6-9. This is when any person offers to or consents to performing a sex act for money or items of value.
A conviction for any of the felony sex crimes will require that the defendant register as a sex offender upon release. Forsyth County sex crimes lawyers can assist further with legal qualifications of sex crimes.
Consult With a Forsyth County Sex Crimes Lawyer Today
Being charged with a sex crime can take an emotional toll on a person. Not only do they need to face extremely serious legal ramifications, but they also are judged in the court of public opinion.
Our firm’s Forsyth County sex crimes attorneys work to not only defend our clients in court, but also in the eyes of the public.
While people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, a high-profile sex crime will often set people’s minds against the accused long before the trial. We are at your side every step of the way.
From arraignment and bail hearings to pre-trial sessions and a potential trial, we work diligently and thoroughly to protect your freedom. Potential penalties include required jail time without a possibility of parole, and worse. Do not take any unnecessary chances. Contact us today.